May 28, 2012

THE GODFATHER (Francis Ford Coppola, 1972)

This is a myth for the history of the cinema, so I thought I couldn't live any more time withoug having watched (completely) this motion picture. And, after watching it I must admit that the awards this movie has received are totally fair. I must confess that gangster movies do not really call my attention, in fact, I do not think I have seen much more appart from this one. Anyway, this movie is amazing and it is really well done with regards of mise-en-scène (lights are really well employed) and also with regards of other aspects such as framing or sound (in fact the soundtrack of this film is quite known and famous). I really have enjoyed the character of Michael (Al Pacino), who I know will become the most important one in the next two movies. However, I should admit that I wouldn't have included his romance in Italy because I like Kay (Diane Keaton) too much and I've seen the other relationship as an infidelity to her. But, anyway, Michael is the perfect son, the one who does not know what he wants in life but what he does not like. Nevertheless, the happenings occured in the context of his family make him change his mind and his way of acting dramatically.
Don Vito Croleone (Marlon Brando) is also fundamental for this movie and plays a fantastic role which I have admired too much during the whole movie. In my opinion, despite the shady business he develops, his sentences, his way of performing and his actions themselves make the viewer to feel totally involved with him from the very first second until the end. Besides, his particular way of speaking contributes to the mystery and suspense which exist during the entire film and which characterized this great and unforgettable classic of American cinema.

No comments: