Dec 27, 2011

ROBINSON CRUSOE (Rod Hardy and George Miller, 1997)



This movie is based on the novel by Daniel Defoe which tells the adventures of a shipwreck. I've watched this film in order to motivate myself to read the novel and I am absolutely convinced to do it since I love the story very much. It is similar, in a way, to the movie Cast Away (Robert Zemeckis, 2000) played by Tom Hanks. In fact, I have read that it was based on the novel by Defoe.



I specially like the character of Friday. I think it is necessary in the story because it teaches many things to Robinson (Pierce Brosnan) as well as beinf his salvation. In some way, he represents the wild part of Robinson, although it is Friday who is afraid of Robinson and not vice-versa.



On the other hand, the presence of Friday at first and the way that Robinson refers to him can make us to think in the problem of slavery in U.S. as well as in the colonization. Actually, the story of Robinson Crusoe is, in some aspects, a story about colonization.


2 comments:

Carlota said...

"I've watched this film in order to motivate myself to read the novel and I am absolutely convinced to do it since I love the story very much."
jajaja I¡ve already tried it. Good luck, Mónica.
:P

Alea said...

>.< I'll read it when I finished Paradise Lost and Gulliver's Travels... adaptations are also avalaible :P